We often are asked about SEO (Search Engine Optimization), from our clients wanting to update their current website or curious about switching their platform. Today, we stumbled on this great article for those of you wanting to sink your teeth into the topic. It's something we have to discuss and honestly something we keep running into. Chatting with an SEO expert last week had us thinking in regard to our client base...
Most of our small business owners cannot afford professional SEO service. So, how can we offer a solution for our clients that works with their budgets. We recognize how crucial SEO is, but we also hear the concerns of our clients wallets.
Wight House Creative uses both WordPress and Squarespace platforms and we love both for different features and benefits. When we first ventured into the small business world with our first business, Ira + Lucy, we utilized a WordPress platform. The capabilities for design, layout and especially the plugins able to display Ira + Lucy's vintage rental inventory were and still are phenomenal, however it's been that "beast" with keeping up on the SEO. Ira + Lucy, like many starting businesses evolved. It began as a wedding and special event rental business, but grew and now includes event services including coordination, wedding planning and design. So, while it's SEO is great for "vintage rentals" it isn't so great with "wedding planning" or "wedding coordination" etc. So, now we have to focus on building quality content that will boost our SEO to help build the other aspects of the business's services. Ira + Lucy is growing and doing awesome as a young business, but still needs work to be found by the market. As a young family, self-employed, small business owners, we too were worried that we couldn't afford SEO services either.
Hallelujah Squarespace SEO is Here!
- Squarespace produces pages with clean HTML markup.
- You have full control over the ordering of your page titles, even down to being able to create different title schemes for your homepage vs item pages and collection pages (done via General Settings).
- We generate proper meta tags for all pages.
- We generate proper <link> tags to associated RSS feeds for your pages.
- We automatically generate a correct robots.txt, link your sitemap, and exclude all Squarespace service/search endpoints.
- Image descriptions are converted to alt tags properly.
- All primary pages on your Squarespace site contain clean URLs that are easily indexed and read.
- Squarespace generates proper rel="canonical" tags that ensure search engines are picking up the proper versions of your pages when content exists at more than one URL.
- Given multiple domains, Squarespace will redirect users and search engines to the right domain and use rel="canonical" to fix these references.
- Squarespace generates proper Facebook open graph tags that are used when your links are shared on social services.
- Squarespace is a paid service that aggressively fights spam. If you are using a free service that is a target for spammers, you potentially run the risk of being falsely grouped with other spam sites.
*Even more, when importing from various systems, we ensure your URLs match after moving to Squarespace so that your already ranked content doesn't lose rank when you switch over. Your rank may even improve greatly, due to the items listed above. We've seen this happen frequently. More from Squarespace's CEO
First and foremost, SEO is constantly evolving and we aren't experts, but we definitely continue to research and learn and share with you what we discover. We find Squarespace and WordPress to both offer their unique attributes and sometimes these fit our clients' needs more than the other. That's part of our job - pairing you up with the one that will work the best to support your business's needs. In the meantime, we encourage you to focus on:
- QUALITY CONTENT - Typically when clients ask about SEO, they are referring to traffic to their website. Google reiterates that CONTENT is the biggest influencer for search engine optimization.
- INBOUND LINKS -Links on another site that point back to your site are one of the most significant aspects of getting your website ranked higher in search engines. Start networking and reach out to other blogs! Promote one another! Way back in the day, when I first started blogging with my former blog, that is exactly how I grew so quickly and started making money with my blog! Quality content AND inbound links.
Coming This Week!
"How To Generate Inbound Links"